02 December 2010

All about me

A list of things you may or may not know about me.*

* - It will probably be things you don't know about me, otherwise there would be no point in sharing them with you unless I just wanted to add a post to my archives.
  1. I'm deathly afraid of heights, to the point where it takes everything within my being to climb a ladder and get stuff out of the attic in my house without freaking out.
  2. To make the heights thing even weirder: I'm not afraid to fly in an airplane.
  3. I'm also gravely afraid of hospitals. They just weird me out. The only two times I've spent more than an hour visiting someone in a hospital are when my two children were born (and I only did it then because I didn't want to face the consequences).
  4. I like ketchup, marinara sauce, and tomato soup; but I don't like uncooked tomatoes.
  5. I also don't like sour cream, but love sour cream & onion potato chips.
  6. I give the impression to some people that I'm a pompous asshole because I'm not very talkative, but in reality I'm constantly worrying that I'm not well-liked, and feel that my voice isn't worthy of being heard. I struggle with this daily.
  7. I hate talking on the phone, and will generally do anything I can to avoid it. I make an exception to this rule for a very short list of people who I can talk on the phone with for hours on end.
  8. When I was younger I had the hots for Jesse Spano from Saved By the Bell. My crush on her lasted until the caffeine pills episode, which made me afraid of her. (I'm so excited...I'm...so...scared... I'm scared too Jesse...of you.)
  9. I shave my head because I have the same hairstyle as Screech from Saved By the Bell when I let my hair grow out. (Yeah, I just made two SBTB references.)
  10. I still watch Saved By the Bell if I find it while channel surfing and there's nothing else on at the time. (That's three SBTB references, if you're scoring at home.)
  11. If I like a movie, I can practically recite it after watching it once. If I really like a movie, I watch it repeatedly just so I can recite it while watching it.
  12. My two favorite comedies to watch repeatedly: What About Bob and Happy Gilmore. My favorite non-comedy to watch repeatedly: The Shawshank Redemption.
  13. I didn't learn how to drive a manual transmission until I was 28 years old, and I only learned because my grandfather gave me his pickup truck before he died and I wanted to drive it in memory of him.
  14. I like to drink alcohol, but I've only been drunk twice in my life. I don't like to be drunk because I like being able to maintain control of my actions.
  15. My favorite mixed drink is Amaretto Sour, but my favorite spirit is rum (preferably Captain Morgan Spiced). My favorite beer is a tie between Sam Adams Boston Lager and Magic Hat #9. My favorite beer to drink in large quantities is Bud Light.
  16. Though I like to drink, I've never tried drugs, and I don't have any desire to try them.
  17. As much as I like to drink alcohol, I like to drink coffee even more. I drink at least 6 cups of coffee per day, and sometimes I drink as many as 12.
  18. I love the idea of blogging about my personal life and feelings, but I'm afraid to blog what I truly feel because I fear that anyone who reads it will think it's stupid and will make fun of it, causing me to never want to write about my personal life again.
  19. I want to write a novel, but I'm afraid to because I'm afraid that no one will want to publish it, and I'm afraid that it will be a complete and utter failure, ruining my dream of becoming an author when I grow up.
  20. I'm obsessed with collecting ink pens. I have a collection of pens that I never use, but can't throw them away because I'll just go out and buy more.
  21. I took two years of French in high school, aced the French entrance exam in college, and took one semester of French in college (because I needed an elective), and can't remember any of it, except for the easy stuff that 5th graders know (hello, counting to 10, etc.). I regret allowing this to happen, but I'm too lazy to relearn the language.
  22. I'm obsessive compulsive about 96.3275% of things I do.
  23. I've gained 60 lbs. in the 6 years I've been married. I keep telling myself (and my wife) that I'm going to go on a diet and lose weight, but I always cave and end the diet within a week because I'm too addicted to chocolate and ice cream.
  24. I have a very low tolerance for idiocy, especially in traffic. If other drivers could hear the things I say to them when they drive like morons, I probably would have been run over several times by now. Knowing this doesn't change the things I scream at other drivers when they drive like morons.
  25. I am interested in politics, but I don't like talking about it with others, because most people take political issues way too seriously. I feel the same way about religion.

Well, that's all for now. I figure it's best to stop at 25 since it's a nice number. In the future I may expand on this list, but I think this will suffice for the moment.

Feel free to comment with any thoughts on this list or to add any quirks of your own.

8 comments

  1. Interesting to learn a bit more of the "real" you! I totally agree on the moron drivers bit - you should've heard me while in the mall parking lot today (on second thought, no, probably no one should have heard me)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, mall parking lots are the worst. Makes me want to avoid the mall completely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this post because its so honest. I think it's hard to be honest to ourselves, let alone the world and if there is one thing I've learned from being honest is that you'll find - more times that not - that you're very much not alone.

    I could easily copy and past your list into into my blog and keep most things exactly the same. Well, except for the Jessie thing. I mean... she's cute and all... but I was more of a fan of Zack. Partially because he's male - no, completely because he's male. (plus screech was annoying and so was slater. It was "Go Zack or Go home!")

    You may not post often, but when you do they're great posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. -A: Thank you for the kind words. I'm finding that being honest brings about a special kind of freedom that you can't have with anything else, and I'm starting to like it.

    If I were female and were given the three choices of Zack, Screech, and Slater, I'm certain I would go for Zack every time, because you're right -- the other two were just annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jesse Spano! I was into her too...The drugs didn't scare me away...She also did a quality job as a hooker and astripper, in her stunning film career!

    You and -A are going to make me do one of these now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beeze: I knew you would be the one to bring up her appearance in Showgirls, and you didn't disappoint. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same fascination with pens! And goal of writing a book....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erica: Steph makes fun of me because I buy so many pens and don't write with half of them. I usually rebut with "but you have 1000 purses and pairs of shoes, and you don't use half them either". It doesn't get me very far though.

    ReplyDelete